Looking for ideas for an October holiday? The south west coast of Portugal is our speciality and remains relatively undiscovered. If you are searching for the 'real' Portugal, away from the crowds then this is the perfect destination for historic villages, endless golden beaches, honest local food prepared with love and all this can be enjoyed under the warm Autumn sun.
A world away from the more talked-about Algarve, destinations such as Sagres, Peniche and Obidos boast stunning beaches, rugged cliffs, reliable surf and delicious local delicacies. From our hand-picked selection of quality contemporary accommodation, you can explore the surrounding unspoilt landscapes and historic villages. It's also the perfect setting for adventurous and sporty types, with surfing, kitesurfing and golf amoung the many activities on offer.
It's our favourite time of year to visit the area- if you can go this Autumn, we promise you won't regret it!
If you need a little more persuading, here are our top 5 reasons to visit authentic Portugal this Autumn:
1) Very good value for money - your Euro will go a lot further in Portugal than in many other places in Europe. With a renowned ethos of providing excellent and friendly service visitors are always made to feel welcome. The Portuguese speak very good English, so if you haven't got much further than "obrigado", you will get along just fine. It really is a pleasure to spend your time and your money in south west Portugal.
2) Great weather forecast - we have always said that the summer extends into October in south west Portugal, and the weather forecast is looking good this Autumn! HIghest number of sunshine hours in Europe. The current October temperatures for the region are in the mid to high twenties - warm enough to enjoy al fresco dining and warrant an ice cream, but cool enough to get active and explore.
3) Reliable surf - if you check the surf forecast as often (or more often!) than the weather forecast, south west Portugal is the place for you! The Billabong Pro at Cascais drew crowds of avid surfers and spectators, and the upcoming Nazaré Challenge will see the pros take on some of the biggest waves in Europe. Portugal is becoming more and more popular amoung surfers, and offers excellent conditions for novices and pros alike! If you fancy honing your skills or just having a go, there are plenty of surf schools around which are renowned for their friendliness.
4) Delicious local food - the Portuguese take their food pretty seriously, and with 800km of coastline, fresh fish and seafood are often the stars of the show. The food is very good value for money, with honest dishes and plentiful portions dining out is a real delight and a highlight of any trip to the south west coast. It's a joy to find resturants that are popular amoung the locals - a meal out is a cultural experience in its own right and there are some truly authentic venues in every village. The coffee is good, the custard tarts are legendary (in our office at least!) the fish comes straight from the ocean and you can wash it all down with a glass of local wine or port. Delicious!
5) Distinctive architecture - Portugal has a very recognisable style of architecture. The cobbled streets, intricate facades and the stunning array of 'azulejo' tiles draw loyal aficionados to appreciate the traditional buildings. Modern architecture mixes with the more historic buildings, cities ocntrast with traditional villages - there is plenty to explore and appreciate. We always like to visit the Pena Palace in Sintra - one of Portugal's most visited monuments that can be seen from miles around - its imposing walls glowing gold in the sunshine.
We've put together a list of our top property picks for your October holiday in south west Portugal, we're sure there will be something to tempt you.
Call us on 01395 865655 and we can help to find the perfect holiday rental for your Autumn trip.
Choose from our stunning holidays, all hand picked and personally visited by us.Find My Holiday
Or call our experts now